Power BI Embedded is an interesting approach to allow web applications to embed Power BI reports such that users of the application do not require any Office 365 account and user license. In trying to figure out how to do a simple demo for myself, I found the documentation to be fragmented. I will provide a simple end-to-end walkthrough of embedding a Power BI report into a web application.
The online documentation to help me piece together this walkthrough is as follows:
- Get started with Microsoft Power BI Embedded
Only one piece of the pie in terms of the Workspace collection
- Authenticating and authorizing with Power BI Embedded
Mechanics of authentication and authorization
- Common Power BI Embedded scenarios
Good explanation of what is Power BI Embedded
- What is Microsoft Power BI Embedded?
An overview of Power BI Embedded
- Power BI Embedded – Integrate a report into a web app
ProvisionSample project to import PBIX and get embed details
- Microsoft Power BI – Report Embed Sample
- Create a new report from a dataset in Power BI Embedded
Instructions on developing the JS code to embed into an app.
- Power BI Embedded Pricing
100 user sessions/month free
- In Azure Portal, create workspace collection
- Create or use a Power BI report using Power BI Desktop
- Use the ProvisionSample code to import PBIX file and get embed details
- Create or use a web application
- Develop client side code to embed the Power BI report into the web application
- Test the application and embedded report
1. Go to Azure Portal, create Power BI Embedded
2. Fill out details
3. Workspace collection
4. Where do I create a workspace? Where do I import a Power BI report file? Where do I get Power BI embed details for client side code?
You can’t at the moment. A disappointment if you ask me. You need to use the SDK and APIs from https://www.nuget.org/profiles/powerbi
Therefore, obtain the Access Keys to use the with SDK and APIs
For the next steps of creating a workspace, importing a Power BI desktop file and getting embed details, see the next Power BI Embedded Walk Through Part 2 of 3